Thursday, 02 May 2019 20:35
Plastics and Circular Economy: Community Solutions FeaturedWritten by anacurrea
- Type: Report/Publication, Global Publication
- Source: GEF Small Grants Programme
- Focal Areas: Chemicals and Waste
- Countries: India, Afghanistan, Armenia, Bahamas, Burundi, Gambia, Ghana, Jamaica, Maldives, Sierra Leone
- Region: Africa, Arab States, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and the CIS, Latin America and the Caribbean
This publication captures SGP’s experiences and lessons learned on plastics management, spanning not only the area of chemical and waste management, but also international waters and biodiversity conservation. The projects focus on implementing a circular economy either through recycling, reducing and reusing plastics for new products, influencing consumer use and behavior, or developing better waste collection and management practices at the community level. Some of these initiatives have also been scaled up in partnership with government and private sector. The 10 cases included in this publication show that local communities and grassroots solutions are already contributing to the implementation of the circular economy concept by providing circular solutions to plastic waste problems through community-based actions to “reduce, reuse and recycle” plastics, known as “3Rs” ranking by the priority of actions.